Monday, December 9, 2013

Everything Old is New Again!

Hard to believe that "retro" now 
applies to my childhood!  
Born in the late 50's, my Christmas memories 
consist of Rudolph clay-ma-tion,
the Grinch and our family favorite, 
A Charlie Brown Christmas

A Charlie Brown Christmas ~ CBS 1965

Daddy bought us a silver aluminum tree 
with green ornaments that changed 
color in the light from a 
turning light disk at the tree base.  
20 years later when he grudgingly 
placed it in a garage sale 
(at my mother's insistence)
it was the first item that sold!  
That Christmas was the first time 
I realized that Christmas does not have 
to be red and green! 
Glass Ball Ornaments

So, when Reese and I found the
Glass Ball Ornaments
above while searching for our boutique,
I had to have them!
I mean really, their bright colors,
pink accents and retro starburst design
transported me back in time!
And they blend beautifully with our
Royal Frog Ornaments.

Happy Holiday Felt Tree Skirt
And what better way to complete the tree than with 
old fashioned tree skirt of felt, applique and 
sequins in pink, purple, green and blue!

Below I decided to use the glass balls in place of candles 
because the colors and style blend so well with our 
and



The trees on the tray look like they came right out of
Who~ville~
How the Grinch Stole Christmas ~ CBS 1966

When snack time rolls around,
our Melamine Snowman plates
are a great retro look AND good for the environment!
Here I have mixed with our 
and used the glass ball ornaments in an 
old aluminum ice bucket to complete our retro tabletop.
  

Below is my copy of 
A Visit from St. Nicholas
given to me by my grandmother in 1963.
Note the pink sash and sugar plums!
would have been a welcome addition in my house, 
especially since it can be rolled up and carried
to grandmother's house!

If you are a child of the 50's, I hope my trip down 
memory lane brought back some happy
memories for you.
And I hope Maggie & Reese will inspire you to add 
something a new to your holiday decor!


~Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment