Sunday, July 28, 2013

Across the Sea

After spending last week in England, we decided to continue our old fashioned 
"Summer Tour" and head across the sea, 
or should I say Channel...
When I first went to France several years ago, it was only because it was between me and my final destination ~ Belgium.  Like most Americans, I had heard every story about the inhospitable people, over sauced food, etc.  And although some of the cliché's may be true in some areas of the country, I found that after surviving a train strike, less than perfect weather in Paris and the narrow miss of the volcanic ash cloud upon departure, 
I love France! 
And of course the designer inside of me is fascinated by how the French can 
create the beauty of Versailles 
in a space the size of a postage stamp!  
So let's begin.  
Our inspirational space this week is a living room in a rental property located just a few steps from the Champs~Elysees.


Courtesy ~ Paris Haven

The most important element in this space is the color.  Trying to capture the light of Paris is impossible and matching the perfect gray/blue hue you find in almost every French space is equally difficult.  I myself spent many weeks with several gray/blue mixtures in my kitchen trying to find the one that made me feel I was breakfasting near the river Seine.  
The one that came the closest was 
Sherwin Williams Conservative Gray 6183.

(Design note ~ lighting, room orientation, cabinet colors all affect the final outcome of a wall color so ALWAYS paint LARGE test samples on each wall the color will be applied so you can experience it in multiple scenarios. And never trust color in a photo!)

The next element I would concentrate on 
is the beautiful, gold gilt mirror 

Courtesy of Layla Grace
With this vintage mirror 
your space is almost speaking French!

Lighting is one area of design that I find to be very personal, almost like selecting jewelry.  There is no rhyme or reason, you either like a specific style of lighting or you don't.  I personally love antique fixtures with worn gold
finishes and crystal drops so I frequent Ebay in hopes of finding fixtures that fit whatever 
space I am currently working in...



...but if you are someone who prefers 
something a little edgier (like Reese)
by all means mix things up a little and 
add a contemporary fixture in an elegant finish 
like the one below 


Troy Lighting F9994GSL 4 Light Morgan Chandelier, Gold and Silver Leaf
by Troy Lighting

Now for chairs.
The French Bergere chairs shown 
are easy to find.  
Everyone from Ballard Designs to 
One Kings Lane has a version of their own.  
For me, I prefer the small stature of this antique version recently offered up at auction.

BERGERE GONDOLE D'EPOQUE LOUIS XV

So that's it!  That is about all it takes 

to add a little Joie de vivre to your project, 

except maybe some fun stemware to toast a glass of French Champagne!


Celebration Champagne Flutes S/6




As daughters of veterans, we are proud to share
this week's "giving back" opportunity 


Honor Flight Network

  honors our veterans by flying them to 
Washington DC to visit their memorials with 
top priority given to the 
senior veterans from WWII.
And for all those left behind and their families,
we say Thank You.

Normandy France

Normandy France

For more French Interior ideas, visit our Across the Sea board on Pinterest. 

~Maggie


No comments:

Post a Comment